That is my answer to the famous question of Tim Ferriss “If you could have a gigantic billboard anywhere with anything on it — metaphorically speaking, getting a message out to millions — what would it say and why?”
Your brand needs to stand for something. You should have brand values and a brand story. Not only documented but something you really live by. That matters to you, and your customers. In that way, you’re different from other brands. Something that can not easily be copied. That is unique to you.
Some examples from people that have answered the same question:
- Did you give it your best? – Karlie Kloss
- Pause – Nick Kokonas
- Nothing ventured, nothing gained – Richard Branson
- Love the things you own – Marie Kondo
- Anything is possible – Nicholas Mccarthy
You could do the same exercise for brands. Looking at their slogans, you can immediately tell what they stand for:
- Just do it – Nike
- There are some things money can’t buy. For everything else, there’s MasterCard
- Semper Fi – The U.S. Marine Corps
- Shave Time. Shave Money – Dollar Shave Club
- Because You’re Worth It – L’Oréal Paris
They stand for something and in that way it differentiates that brand from the competition.
Now over to you, what does your brand stand for?